First, I went on my vacation and it was fabulous. Cheery blossoms in Vancouver are truly amazing. Seeing my friends was truly amazing. I don't want to reminiscent too much on my trip home, after all, this is a blog about Dubai, and not Vancouver. But for my non- Vancouver blog readers, here is a taste of home for me:
Ever since I've been back in Dubai, my heart just hasn't really been here. Maybe it was never here to begin with. I've never given a fair chance. I was incredibly homesick... and bad thing just kept piling up. First my Dean asked me if I was looking for a new job (my first day back to work), then I got in trouble because the same skirt I've been wearing for the last 6 months, is all of sudden too short. Oh and then some nasty person was spreading rumors about me at work, trying to tarnish my reputation. People have nothing better to do then spy on their colleagues and then talk about it at work the next day. Sigh.
Over the last six months, I've made some observations not only about the Emaratis, but also the expats living in Dubai as well. I think they (as in the expats) are even stranger than the Emarati. They seem more alien to me, even though they come from my culture, or at least a part of my culture. I don't really understand them.
I find that the expats, especially the ones working at the university always believe they know what's best for the girls. They change the university website without consulting them, and in general, the girls are treated like spoiled brat (which a lot of them are), who don't really know what's good for them. Yes, some of the girls may be spoiled and bratty, but they certainly have opinions of their own. I recently went to a presentation about 12 Emarati girls who went to Cambodia to build a school. The university administrators, even the Sheikh himself, didn't believe that they could do it. The trip was canceled at one point. Everybody was concerned that it's too much work for them, and they they might get sick and that they might not function very well without malls and AC. However, these girls proved during their presentation that they are more than what people think they might be. They ARE capable of making a difference and I was so proud of them.
Don't get me wrong, there are many spoiled brats amongst them. But isn't that the same in any universities all over the world?
As I mentioned earlier, I got in trouble from my dean about my skirt being too short. I was really upset about the incident not only because I know that the person just wanted to cause me grief, but also because it's another indication that she thinks she knows what the girls want. The horn they toot is that they are trying to 'be respectful of their culture and preserving it', but really, a lot of their motivation is driven by power and the fear of losing it. The girls at the university don't care what the faculty members wear. It's what the other faculty members think the girls might care. Better yet, what their fathers might care. I could be totally off here- there are some girls who are more conservative than others and who would care about what faculty members are wearing. But I think for the most part, faculty members have learned to censor themselves, in the fear of getting into trouble. Expats in general, I think have picked this up. You have to be discreet about the fact that you are a drunken infidel. In my case, a godless drunk infidel who also wears as little as possible, whenever she can get away with it. I am respectful at work- I dress professionally and I've been told by the students (even on the days I am wearing a skirt), that I look very nice. So what the hell is the problem here?
Anyway, moving on to a topic which all of you may be interested in.... DEWEY! She's growing like a weed, and a very pretty cat. But as my friend Anthony says... you can take the cat out of the street, but can't take the street out of the cat. She's still a mean little fuck, but oh so adorable... here she is:
She destroyed my beautiful basil plant. Okay, the sun did some damage, and when I brought it inside, Dewey ate all the leaves. She treats my foot like a chew toy every night when I sleep. She has taken a liking to sleep between people's legs, which Anthony calls the "danger zone". She goes crazy over tuna, and tin foils. She will try to steal food whenever she can, especially yogurt. I think she might be getting a little chunky. What do you think?Went out to the desert today to buy booze. Six bottles of 1 liter vodka, 2 five liters box of wine and 3 bottles of wine. That should last me until August at least. I feel like such an alcoholic. But seriously though, if they made buying booze slightly easier, I didn't have to walk out of this place with a shopping cart full of booze. I miss Edmonton- I could have closed my eyes and walked out of my back door, and at the end of each block, there was a liquor store. Sigh. I guess I could technically go get a liquor license through my work. But then I have to pay taxes on my booze!! Who wants to do that?!?!?!
No comments:
Post a Comment