Friday, May 29, 2009

beach beach beach!

One of the most fabulous things about living in Dubai is the opportunity to go to a warm beach. My friend Anthony and I having been going almost every Friday since I came back from vacation. I love jumping in the water after laying in the hot hot sun. The water has been cool and pleasant, except the water in the Arabian Gulf is so much saltier than the Pacific Ocean! The first time I licked my lips after I've been in the water, I was so shocked and disgusted (but got over it very quickly).

Since the weather is getting hotter and hotter, there are fewer and fewer people at the beach every week. It was hovering over mid 40's when we were at the Jumeria Beach Park on Friday. I noticed right when we got there that the beach had been much quieter than the last time we were there. The temperature was hovering in the mid 40's that day. It was hot, but as long as you stay in the shade, you can sit out on the beach for a couple of hours quite comfortably.

Anthony and I brought a cooler full of booze and lounged around for a couple of hours. To other people around us, we just look like we are drinking strawberry or guava juice. In reality, our juice was mostly vodka. We learned that tequila smells too strongly and people might suspect us, so we've been sticking to vodka since then. Dubai is probably one of those places you probably don't want to get caught drinking in public.

The water was still moderately cool. People tell me that in a week or two, it's going to be too hot to go into the water. It will be like "bath water" apparently. Ewww. I wouldn't want to go into the water then. When the water gets too warm, that's when I am going to stop going to the beach. It will be a sad, sad day, but I guess I will just have to settle with lounging in a chilled pool all day. I know, my life is so difficult in Dubai.


Here are some pictures of our beach outing:


This is my friend Anthony. He's South African. Don't mess with him, he'll mess you up! Note how clear the water is? You could actually see schools of fishes darting around in the water that day.


Me and the Burj Dubai. The Burj Dubai is still not finished yet, unfortunately. See my horrible, god awful tan line? Sigh. Looks like I will need to spend even more time in the sun to even out that tan.

The sand was extremely hot. We were running as quickly as we could to jump into the water because the bottom of our feet were literally burning. They were red and tender even hours after we got out of the sun. That was kind of unpleasant but it was still so worth it. This is the only times in my life I wish I had some of those ugly Crocs. I would be nice to have footwear that you can walk across the beach with and can still stay on your feet in the water. But I think they would look terrible in photos, so I was glad I didn't have them. Vain? I know.

Hopefully we will be able to go to the beach for a couple more weeks at least...




1 comment:

Shannon said...

It looks amazing, Kayo! Too hot to go into the water!? That's so hard to imagine! I will have to live vicariously through you :'p